AVOID THESE BAD HABITS THAT COULD BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE
Fire is fast, in less than seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire. In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. Smoke and toxic gases kill more people.
House fires are more common, with potential fire starters like light bulbs, laptops, and lint traps hiding in plain sight throughout your home, disguised as harmless.
Some things we ignore can lead to incidence of house fires.
- Dirty Rags
A pile of oil – soaked rag when left unattended are very real fire hazard, as they could oxidize and spontaneously combust, causing a house fire.
- Electric Blanket
A warm and cozy electric blanket can comfort in the cold weather, but it also poses a potential fire hazard if used improperly. Extra covers over the blanket could buildup excessive heat and may lead to fire.
- Ignoring Appliance Recalls
In the last 10 years, home appliances caused an estimated 150,000 fires, and a significant number of these were caused by defective appliances. If you happen to own one of those, replace I immediately.
- Dryer Lint
Accumulation of loose threads and other tiny textile could lead to fire during excessive heat buildup. Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct regularly, to clear away lint and clogs, and reduce the risk of fire.
- Overheated Laptops
Laptop is one electronic device we ignore a lot of time. When you leave it on your bed, couch, rug, or other soft, flammable surface, you run the risk of restricting airflow through the cooling vents, which can cause your laptop to overheat and possibly catch fire.
- Wrong light bulb wattage
Installing a light bulb with a wattage that is too high for a lamp or light fixture is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the light fixture’s maximum wattage, and never go over the recommended rating.
- Using Many Extension Cords
Connecting a large number of cords for a significant amount of time can cause an overload that leads to a short circuit and result in a fire. Hire a qualified electrician to install power outlets.
- Leaving Candles Unattended
Candles add ambiance and aroma to the house, but their soft glow can grow into a blaze if left to burn unsupervised. A draft could cause the flame to flare up and ignite nearby flammable items.
- Smoking Indoors
The embers of an improperly extinguished cigarette can interact with other nearby flammable items and start a fire. To avoid fire, only smoke outside, and be sure to pour water on cigarette ashes and butts before tossing them in the trash.
- Ignoring Loose-Fitting Plugs
A loose electrical outlet has the potential to ignite a fire behind the wall. If you notice any loose electrical outlets in your home, make sure they’re replaced immediately.
While it is impossible to completely prevent fire, be sure to always have the phone number of a fire damage restoration company on hand. Please call us SERVPRO of Ventura at (805) 656-3911.