If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (805) 656-3911

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration


4/15/2022 (Permalink)

bleach Bleach is not for Mold

When mold appears on walls and tiles in the bathroom, walls and tiles, many homeowners reach for bleach and harsh chemicals to treat the problem. But according to experts, this is actually one of the worst ways to remove the toxic growth from your home.

The Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administrations (OSHA) no longer recommend the use of bleach because using chlorine bleach to kill mold is one the worst things can do. Bleach contains 90 percent of water and mold loves it. When bleach is applied, the chlorine quickly evaporated after use leaving behind a lot of water. The water soaks into porous surface allowing the mold to flourish and re-grow in the moist environment. Bleach feeds the internal mold spores.

Bleach is ineffective in the long run. It only helps you mask the mold for a short period. After you have applied bleach to a porous surface, the mold’s dark green color removed. However, the roots of the molds which have reached deep into the insides continue to grow. It does not stop harmful mold spores from spreading within the house.

Bleach is toxic. It considered as a toxic chemical and classified the same as gasoline. It is also harmful to your skin. When bare skin is expose, it creates a hydrolysis reaction which means the oily feeling on the top of the layer of your skin starts to dissolve.

Think twice before you considering the DIY. There are many factors that need to be evaluated when deciding whether you should clean up the mold yourself or hire a professional. DIY mold removal could create a bigger mess and can cost you more money in the long run.

If you have questions about mold, meet with our mold experts for professional advice. We will examine your mold problem and the damage.

Call us at: SERVPRO of Ventura at (805) 656-3911.

Other News

View Recent Posts