Winter Time: Protecting Pipes Before
We all know that water expands when it freezes; unfortunately, your pipes don't. When water freezes and expands, it puts pressure on whatever contains it, and with enough pressure, your frozen pipes will burst, causing a very costly water damage in your home. Here are ways to protect pipes in freezing weather.
- Protect your pipes before the temperatures dip below freezing to save yourself from water damage. Especially important to remember if you're planning to leave your home for an extended period during the winter. An unattended home is a dangerous situation if you don't take the appropriate steps to winterize the house leaving.
- If you're leaving home for more than a few days, you should drain your pipes of water. Draining is done through your main water supply. This prevents any water in the tube from freezing and backing up into the tap and then your pipes.
- Wrap heating tapes around your pipes.
- Ensure adequate insulation in common problem areas of the home, including attics, basements, and crawlspaces that contain pipes. Adding insulation to your home also reduces your heating bill. You can also add insulation to your pipes. It isn’t enough to prevent pipes from freezing but it will slow the transfer rate of heat to cold. Wrap the pipes in foam rubber insulation, or you can even use a ¼ inch layer of newspaper in areas that are less exposed to the cold.
Give SERVPRO a call anytime that you need us at (805) 656-3911.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Ventura County Home
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Ventura is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation.
24 hour emergency services
SERVPRO of Ventura provides 24 hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster in Ventura, CA. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24 Hour emergency service
- Faster to any size disaster
-Highly trained restoration technicians
- A trusted leader in the restoration industry
- Locally owned and operated
- Advanced restoration and cleaning equipment
Have questions? Call us today 805-656-3911