If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (805) 656-3911

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration


11/22/2021 (Permalink)

electric plugs electric plugs

When leaving the house in a hurry, we forget to turn off the phone charger or leave the TV on stand –by. This is something we should try to avoid. First it’s a waste of electricity, which ends up draining money from our bank accounts. With energy prices as they are these days, we cannot really afford to keep wasting electricity. But regardless of that, they can cause a fire risk if they’re left plugged in and switched on.

 Fire often start when too many things are plugged into a single out or circuit, overloading them. Cords can easily become pinched by furniture and overtime, lead to a fire. Here are some household appliances and electronics you should unplug.

  1. Laptop and Phone Chargers

Devices such as laptops and mobile phones are not designed to be plugged in all the time. You will end up killing the cells in the battery which will limit their life when they’re always plugged in.  You should avoid using cheap chargers, as they may not have been tested to ensure they’re safe. Pick a brand you recognize.

  1. E – Cigarettes

E- cigarettes are better for health than smoking, but they still carry a risk of causing a fire. Estimated 100 fires a year were caused by e-cigarettes and their chargers. Same as phone or tablet, they carry risks if you buy a cheap alternative charger.

Once an E – Cigarette is fully charge, it is recommended you unplug them as soon as possible.

  1. Hair Straighteners

Beauty appliances such as hair straighteners and curling irons are a major cause of house fires and dangerous burns. They can reach 200 degrees and that sort of heat can do a lot of damage. Especially if they’re just abandoned on your bed or floor. After using hair straighteners, you should make sure to check you have unplugged then.

  1. Game Consoles

Games consoles are susceptible when they’ve been turned on for a long periods of time without ventilation.

Always keep an eye on the condition of electrical wiring and plugs on all you electrical. Do not ignore when you spot a damage. Make sure to not use until has been repaired.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Ventura at (805) 656-3911.

Other News

View Recent Posts