PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY HEAVY RAINFALL
Heavy rainfall in a short period of time causes water to rise rapidly, elevating the risk of flooding. This events may result in evacuations, power outages, supply shortages, traffic obstructions and road closures, infrastructure damage and debris. One of the biggest ways to protect yourself and your property is to prepare ahead of time. These includes:
- Ensure storms drains near your house are clear and free of debris.
- Clear eave troughs and ensure they are pointed down and away from your home and foundation.
- Avoid building in a floodplain – an area especially prone to flooding during heavy rains.
- If you do live in a floodplain, consider buying flood insurance to help with losses if, and when, a flood occurs.
- Construct barriers (levees, beams, floodwalls) to stop floodwater from entering your home. Sandbags can provide a temporary levee in an emergency.
- Seal walls with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
- Pay attention to weather forecasts. When heavy rain or storms are forecasted, listen to the radio or television for information on flooding risk.
After a heavy rainfall
- Inspect any damage that have occurred to your property
- Learn steps to take once you come back home, if evacuated
- Learn how to safely clean up after a flood.
If you experience damage to your home or business during severe weather or storm events, you can depend on SERVPRO of Ventura. For comprehensive 24/7 residential and commercial restoration and cleanup services, you can count on the experience of our team. Call usSERVPRO of Ventura at (805) 656-3911.